Friday, January 07, 2005

Spitting

I have a number of gripes today. So prick up your ears and lend me your eyes.

1. This showcases discrimination at its worst. It makes me deeply ashamed to be a Brahmin and an Indian. It makes me want to create a tsunami and flood all those who discriminate at a time like this. I'm so cheesed off, I can't find a better way of articulating the utter disgust I feel. All I can do is apologise on behalf of my barbaric brethren. What can I say, they're supremely ignorant fools.

2. What on earth is wrong with men?! I thought while reading the abovesaid article that nothing could beat that. Only to find I was wrong. Is sex THAT important?! If he had waited a little longer, she wouldn't have protested. And he'd be a necrophiliac.

3. What is it with law students and Fear of Math? They can understand Latin in under a fortnight, but can't add a couple of 3-digit numbers without a calculator present? Temple has a couple of Tax professors for the basic Income Tax class and the top reason students cite for choosing one over the other is ... *drum rolls* math!!! So I was in the dreaded "math" class and all I remember doing in class was calculate 10% of $100. And then came the exam, and people got all panicky, worrying whether calculators were allowed inside the exam room. Well, they heaved a sigh of relief when it *was* allowed. I can only imagine how justified that concern was when we had to add $500 to $10,000. I just don't get it, how can a cohort of the nation's finest minds be this afraid of a bunch of numbers? It's not like we're asked to work on calculus or trigonometry. Why such an unproportionately distorted Fear of Math?

And then they wonder why American high schoolers are pathetic at Math compared to the so-called third world countries.

4. Jeremy's post on his law school advice to a high schooler made me think about the gamut of law schools in the U.S. Temple has a hands-on approach to teaching its students the Law (at this point, I realise that I spell "Law" with an upper case "L", but that's because I think it ought to be spelt that way. "law" doesn't look right. Maybe I allot it more respect than it deserves, but bloody hell, this is *my* blog! I'l spel things ani way i plees!!!). According to Jeremy, Harvard takes a more theoretical approach. I did learn things like where to sign your name on a real estate document, where a debtor's name should be reflected on a borrower's note, etc. Plus, we have clinicals which actually let students deal with real clients and real issues. I have friends who have represented Philly's transportation department in arbitration proceedings. Collectively taken, Temple's graduates come out with some real world idea of the legal practice and are able to hit the ground running. I guess the point of this post is that law schools come in many shapes and sizes and I am curious to know if there are any more methodologies out there.

I'm real proud of Temple Law School for its practical application of the Law in its classrooms. It's the reason why I love studying what I do.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home